Mold is more than just an unsightly growth on your walls and ceilings, it is a health hazard. Surprised? Mold might seem harmless to you, as it grows on your walls and ceilings and does not seem to affect anything else in the home except make your walls and ceilings look unattractive. But mold is a serious threat to your health and can cause severe health problems if left unchecked. Here’s why mold in your home should concern you.
Low levels of mold in your home can cause allergies to susceptible individuals. Symptoms of mold health issues include cold, wheezing, eye irritation, skin irritation and rashes. Breathing problems such as asthma, stuffy nose, cough and sore throat are also common in mold-infested homes. Higher mold levels can even cause mold health issues such respiratory tract infections and may require medical treatment.
Major Health Risks of Mold
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in humid places of your home. There are about 3000 different species of mold causing fungi. Mold releases a highly potent type of toxin known as Mycotoxin which penetrates into the brain to cause dangerous changes in the body’s central nervous system. These toxins are more harmful than most heavy metals and cause acute health problems in considerably healthy individuals. In the case of susceptible individuals prone to allergies, these toxins can cause chronic conditions such as convulsions. Infants, young children, pregnant women and senior citizens are at a higher risk of being affected by these toxins. If your home has mold, your body is exposed to these toxins all through the day as you ingest, inhale and touch the toxic spores released by the mold. These toxins directly enter the brain which makes them highly noxious. They are also virtually undetectable in the body’s bloodstream as they are rapidly mutating while simultaneously producing chemicals to subdue the body’s immune system. These are just a few of the many health risks of mold in your home.
Mold damage to your home
In addition to all the health risks of mold, mold also causes structural damage to your home. Mold thrives in areas with high moisture levels and mold growth on your walls and ceilings is a clear indication of water leakage in the home. A mold inspection is essential to determine the cause of the leakage and the reason for higher moisture levels in the home. Water leakage in the home can also contribute to rotting of the wood and rusting of beams in your home, which leads to compromising the structural integrity of your home.
Mold infestation is a disastrous problem in your home and should be curbed immediately to protect your family from the health risks of mold. Hire professional home inspectors for the mold inspection of your home and reduce damage to your home and your health.